Houston Lawyer » DWI Case Tips
There are a few important things you should know if you are facing DWI charges in or around Houston, Texas. At the Charles Johnson Law Firm, we are happy to answer your questions about DWI and give you important case tips when you contact us for a free initial case evaluation with a Houston DWI attorney.
Case Tips Regarding your Houston DWI
- If you are pulled over for suspected DWI, be polite to the officer. However, do not answer any questions about what you have had to drink or when.
- Politely refuse to submit to field sobriety testing, as this is not mandatory and you cannot be penalized for a refusal of this kind.
- If you are arrested, be sure that you contact the Texas DPS as soon as possible. You have only 15 calendar days to schedule an ALR (Administrative License Revocation) hearing regarding your license suspension. A failure to schedule this hearing will result in the automatic suspension of your license.
- After your arrest, you have the right to remain silent. You do not have to answer questions or submit to formal questioning about the case. While you should cooperate and be polite, you do not have to answer questions about how much you have had to drink and when. Exercise this right, and you will have a much better chance of avoiding a conviction.
- You also have the right to legal counsel. This is a constitutional right that must be observed in order to give defendants in criminal cases the opportunity to prove their innocence. By consulting a Houston DWI attorney as soon as possible after a DWI arrest, you will give him or her a better chance of making a positive impact on your case.
- Most importantly, contact Attorney Charles Johnson as soon as you can. Having a skilled lawyer at your side as early in the process as possible will mean that your rights will be protected and you will have the greatest opportunity of avoiding license suspension and a conviction.
Houston DWI Defense Lawyer: The Charles Johnson Law Firm
The Charles Johnson Law Firm can defend your rights both during your ALR hearing and also throughout the entire criminal court process. We represent clients in DWI (driving while intoxicated) cases throughout all of Houston and the surrounding areas in Texas.